Hi-Fi News (GB, )
"Flexible intuitive operation and a glorious sound, fully capable of slamming home rock or drawing out the scale of classical music, this is a fine addition to the flagship Azur range... the 851N is excellent value for money."
Flagship network player
The pinnacle of digital and streaming performance – the 851N is the ultimate network player. It’s features include; 24-bit/384kHz upsampling from all sources, native 24-bit/192kHz playback, USB, digital audio inputs and streaming over wi-fi including UPnP and NAS drives, Spotify Connect, Apple AirPlay, and DSD.
The 851N takes almost any digital file from virtually any source and renders it to the highest possible standard. Every digital source becomes a hi-fi option; its wireless options include Wi-Fi, internet radio, Spotify, Airplay. Add an optional BT100 Bluetooth dongle, and any paired Bluetooth device is connected.
Digital source components, such as a smartphone, set-top box or PC can connect via optical, co-axial or AES/EBU inputs, while other media are supported with Ethernet, USB and Audio USB. Music files in all the popular formats are supported, from MP3, through to FLAC/Apple Lostless and WAV 16-24 bit master files.
Thanks to our proprietary ATF2 audio upsampling, the 851N upsamples everything to 24-bit / 384kHz. The audio signal then passes through two Analog Devices DACs in dual differential mode for the very finest digital to analogue conversion. As well as connecting the 851N to a traditional integrated amplifier, it can also be configured as a digital pre-amp allowing it to be connected directly to a power amp such as the 851W for further sonic purity.
- D/A convertersTwin Analog Devices AD1955 24-bit DACs
- Digital filter2nd Generation ATF2 up-sampling to 24-bit/384kHz. Linear Phase, Minimum phase or Steep modes.
- Analogue filter2-pole differential Bessel with DC servo (for both XLR and RCA outputs)
- Digital audio inputs1 x AES/EBU, 2 x S/PDIF coaxial and 2 x TOSLINK optical
- USB Audio inputUSB Type B conforms to USB Audio profile 1.0 or 2.0 (user selectable)
- Analogue audio outputsBalanced XLR and unbalanced RCA analogue audio outputs
- CompatibilityUPnP: Linear PCM 16-24 bit, 11.025-192kHz
Local USB media:Linear PCM 16-24 bit, 11.025-192kHz
USB Audio1.0: Linear PCM 16-24 bit, 44.1-96kHz
USB Audio 2.0: Linear PCM 16-24 bit, 44.1-192kHz or DSD (x64)
- TOSLINK: 16-24 bit, 32-192kHz (using high quality TOSLINK optical cable)
S/PDIF: Linear PCM 16-24 bit, 32-192kHz
AES3/EBU: Linear PCM 16-24 bit, 32-192kHz
BT100 Bluetooth receiver: A2DP plus aptX
Internet radio: 16-24 bit, 11.025-192kHz
- Audio formatsALAC, WAV, FLAC, AIFF, WMA, MP3, AAC, HE AAC, AAC+, OGG Vorbis
- Standby power consumption<0.5W
(H x W x D)115 x 430 x 360mm (4.5 x 16.9 x 14.7”)
- Weight8.1kg (17.9lbs)